Friday, December 17, 2004

SQL Server Reporting Service...

Been doing some development that utilize MS SQL Reporting lately, and I'll say, this is really good stuff and worth blogging. Thought I would like to share some of these with those who are just starting up MS SQL Reporting. After installing SQL Reporting, and some reading up on Google, took me about 15mins to create, setup, code and run a workable ASP.Net application with SQL Reporting. Was actually faster than I'd expected for my standards.. :P ...For a start, read this... My First impression of this product was, Simple lighweighted, featureless reporting system. After several test report creating and playing around with the configuration, I was wrong. Although it is not as feature rich as Crystal, MS SQL Reporting does have a decent number of features to meet most of demanding business needs. Basic stuff like charting, tables, drill down, linking reports to VB.NET (Dang, why only VB.Net) and utilization of External Assemblies(tat's the cool part) The fun dun just ends here, MS SQL Reporting have also exposed a series of methods via web services for programatically manipulation of reports and report generation. Here's a section from MSDN that describe how to generate report and output it to a file (pdf, excel, html...). I mean, look at this man, this is really cool stuff, and if your development is fully microsoft dot net, SQL Reporting can be integrate into your system seemslessly. Still at requirement stage now, once my project moves into coding stage, I'll write more about it as I code along...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home